UBI 3 - 1. OUR HOLIDAYS

👋 WELCOME TO UBI 3!

Let's speak English!

Welcome back if you were here last year, and welcome to our new students too!

This year we have one hour together every week, so we are going to make the most of it.

We already know a lot of English. Now we are going to use it more.

Our plan for this year:

This year we are going to use our English as much as we can.

During the course, we will try many different speaking challenges. We may play games, ask questions, describe things, guess words, work with songs and try different ways to use English together.

Today we are going to start with one of these challenges. Let's speak!

We don't need perfect English. We don't need very long sentences.

But we do need to try to speak.

❌ One word and silence.

✅ A sentence, a reaction and another question.

For example:

A: What did you do last weekend?

B: I stayed at home and watched a film.

A: Really? What film did you watch?

B: I watched a comedy.

A: Did you like it?

B: Yes, I did. It was very funny.

🆘 What can I say if I don't know?

Sometimes we know what we want to say, but we don't know how to say it in English.

Don't stop the conversation. Use one of these expressions:

🔁 Can you repeat, please?
🐢 More slowly, please.
🤔 I don't understand.
❓ What does ________ mean?
💂🏻 How do you say ________ in English?
🆘 Can you help me?
⏳ Let me think. . .
😅 I'm not sure.
🧠 I can't remember.
🙈 I don't know.
During our speaking challenge:

if you need help, try one of these expressions before changing to Spanish.

💬 Useful sentences

The questions in our game are about you, your life, your experiences and your plans.

Here are some sentences that can help:

⏪ Last weekend, I . . .
☀️ Last summer, I . . .
📍 I went to . . .
🏠 I stayed at home.
🚫 I didn't go anywhere.
🎯 I usually . . .
❤️ I really like . . .
👎 I don't really like . . .
📅 This weekend, I'm going to . . .
🤷 I don't have any plans yet.
🔁 Quick Past Simple help

✅ I went to Cádiz.

❌ I didn't go anywhere.

❓ Did you go anywhere?

👍 Yes, I did.

👎 No, I didn't.

Remember: after did and didn't, use the basic form of the verb.

✅ Did you go?
❌ Did you went?

🙋 What if I don't have an answer?

That's OK. You can still answer in English.

Nothing special.
I stayed at home.
I didn't go anywhere.
I can't remember.
I don't have any plans yet.

And if you don't want to answer a personal question:

I'd rather not answer that. Can I have another question?

🔄 Don't stop after one answer

When another person answers, react to what they say.

😮 Really?
😊 That's nice!
🤩 That sounds great!
🙋 Me too!
😯 No way!
↩️ What about you?

Then ask one more question.

Why?
When?
Where?
Who with?
What happened?
Did you like it?
What happened next?
Would you do it again?
Remember:

A conversation is not:

Question → answer → silence.

Let's try:

Question → answer → reaction → another question.

🎲 Back to School Board Game

Today we are going to start with a board game.

The questions are about holidays, free time, experiences, routines, likes and plans.

🎲 BACK TO SCHOOL · LET'S TALK!

🎯 How to play

1. Roll the dice and move your counter.
2. Read the question aloud.
3. Answer using a complete sentence.
4. Another player reacts to your answer.
5. That player asks you one more question.
6. Try to use English while you are playing. If you need help, use the expressions above.

A: What did you do last weekend?

B: I went out with some friends.

C: Really? Where did you go?

B: We went to a restaurant.

C: Did you have a good time?

B: Yes, we did!

⭐ Today's challenge

How long can your group keep the conversation going in English?

Don't worry about mistakes. Help each other, ask questions and keep talking.

That's all for now!

Keep talking, keep trying and don't be afraid of mistakes.

See you next week! 👋

La teacher 💜